8 SIMPLE TIPS TO GO GREEN AT HOME
Many homeowners think that expensive solar panels and smart home gadgets are the only ways your household can adopt more eco-friendly practices. However, we’re here to tell you that there are simple tips anyone can implement at home to be a little friendlier to the planet – and your wallet! Try out our tips below for easy ways to make your new home a little more green.
1. Switch to LED light bulbs. LED bulbs are much more efficient than incandescent bulbs, which means they have a much longer lifespan, lasting more than 20 times that of their incandescent counterparts.
2. Use cold water to wash your clothes. Hot water is actually known to set stains, and cold water will get your clothes just as clean!
3. Line-dry whenever possible. Dryers are tough on the environment, but they’re rough on your clothes too. Air-dry whenever possible and your clothes will retain their shape and last longer.
4. Invest in window treatments. Reduce your air conditioner usage by installing curtains or blinds, keeping the sun out and your home cool in the summer. Window treatments will also give your home a nice interior design upgrade.
5. Use cloth kitchen towels, not paper towels. Not only are cloth kitchen towels reusable and therefore the more eco-friendly option, but they add a luxurious element to the look of your kitchen, unlike paper towels.
6. Purchase a water filter. You will recover the cost of a water filter in no time when you stop buying cases of water bottles. A reusable water bottle is also a great way to keep plastic from our landfills while on the go.
7. Keep the oven door closed. We know – it’s tempting to keep checking on those chocolate chip cookies. But try to do so without opening the oven door. Your oven temperature can drop by 65 degrees Celsius just from opening the door for 30 seconds.
8. Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth. No need to keep the water running while you brush. Same goes for shaving!